Business Growth Programme
The £33 million Business Growth Programme (BGP), which covers Lichfield District, launched in July 2016.
The package of support is designed to strengthen supply chains, stimulate innovation and grow existing Small to Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) across the Greater Birmingham and Solihull, Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire and The Marches Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs).
Part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and managed by Birmingham City Council, the Business Growth Programme builds on the successful delivery of the Business Development Programme, the Business Innovation Programme and the Green Bridge Supply Chain Programme, all of which closed in 2015.
Find out more below or download the flyer which has more information.
You must not be a franchise, charity, not-for-profit, community business or in the retail sector.
To be considered for grant support within the programe you must be able to answer 'yes' to each of the nine points below by the time you submit your application form:
- Are you an SME actively trading for six months or more? (The definition of an SME is that your business has between 1-249 employees, has an annual turnover of less than £35.5 million, has a balance sheet less than £30.5 million and is less than 25% owned by another company or combination of companies.)
- Do you operate 100% on a Business to Business (B2B) basis?
- Do you have a project which will grow your business, resulting in jobs being created? (As a rule of thumb, a £10k grant = 1 job creation.)
- Can you deliver your growth project in a four-month period following receipt of your offer of grant?*
- Do you pay your business rates to Lichfield District Council or one of the other authorities in the LEP areas? (Please note if you pay rates in one of the other eligible LEP areas, you should contact the respective authorities. This scheme covers: Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Cannock, East Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Lichfield District, Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Redditch, Shropshire, Solihull, South Staffordshire, Stafford, Staffordshire Moorlands, Stoke-on-Trent, Tamworth, Telford and Wrekin and Wyre Forest.)
- Is your business activity listed as 'eligible' on the Eligible and Ineligible Business Activities?
- Do you have cash match? (Cash funding is the difference between the grant you are seeking and the remaining cost of your project. All applicants must provide cash funding which can be sourced from the private sector, but not other European Funds or Asset Finance.) This cash match will need to be confirmed.
- You can obtain three competitive quotes (unless dealing with a very specialist item for each element of the proposed expenditure. (Quotes for project expenditure should not be from persons or businesses connected to your business, directors or shareholders.)
- You can confirm that your accounts will be audited, or you can provide a Business Plan if you have only been trading for six months.
*Priority will be given to investment-ready projects which can be completed within four months. Projects taking four to six months will only be considered under exceptional circumstances and with prior agreement.
If you answered 'yes' to all the above, then click on the links below to find out which of our four components of business support best suits your needs.
If you are a Lichfield District business and need help please contact our Spatial Policy and Delivery Team on 01543 308760 or 308147.
Please note: The use of consultants or third parties in completing the application form is discouraged and is an ineligible cost. To progress your application, you must contact your respective Growth Hub, that will provide advice at no cost - see contact details below.
The programme limits awards to one grant per SME from any one of the four components of the Business Growth Programme (i.e. you cannot apply for a grant from each component).
Business Development Programme
Offers grant support of £10k to £20k towards project costs for businesses looking to expand, relocate and improve access to markets.
Business Innovation Programme
Offers grant support of £10k to £30k towards project costs for SMEs investing in innovative close-to-market processes, products and services.
HS2 Supply Chain Programme
Offers grant support of £20k to £200k towards project costs for supply chain companies which have, or are in the process of securing, or have the ability to secure a contract for HS2.
Green Bridge Supply Chain Programme
Offers grant support of £20k to £150k towards project costs for supply chain companies operating in, or diversifying into the green economy.
If you answered 'no' to any of the above, please contact the Growth Hub in your partnership area to discuss other types of business support which you may be eligible to access.
Local Growth Hub Contacts (covering Lichfield District)
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull Growth Hub on 0800 032 3488
- Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Growth Hub on 0300 111 8002
The Business Growth Programme is delivered by Birmingham City Council’s Business Development & Innovation Team (BDI), on behalf of the European Regional Development Fund.